We have a new patron on the NEST, and we’re super excited to introduce them to you! Play It Again Sports has been in Ottawa for almost 20 years, and is a prime spot for picking up gently used sports gear—a concept that we love, because it’s ‘eco-economical’, or ‘green but cheap’. As two very active people who like to explore a lot of sports and hobbies (but maybe not stick with them forever), used gear is a helpful, handy way of keeping the cost down. And of course, for readers who have kids in sports, used gear is pretty much a necessity.
Let’s get right to the introductions! We chatted with Rob Lavoie, Regional Manager for PIAS Ottawa, and here’s what he told us.
1. WHAT IS YOUR BUSINESS NAME?
2. WHAT IS YOUR NAME AND YOUR POSITION?
Rob Lavoie, Regional Manager of the 4 Ottawa area locations.
3. HOW CAN PEOPLE FIND YOU?
We have 4 stores in the Ottawa area: Orleans, Ottawa, Nepean and Kanata, as well as a specialized Goalie Store in the new CHDC Centre in Stittsville.
4. WHAT DOES YOUR BUSINESS DO?
Play It Again Sports is your neighborhood sporting goods store offering new and quality used sports equipment. Kids grow like weeds, teens want name-brand everything, and you want affordable prices! That is why Play It Again Sports is the sporting goods store for the entire family. We buy, sell and trade new and used sports equipment and pass along the savings to you.
5. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN BUSINESS?
We have been locally owned and operated in the Ottawa area for almost 20 years.
6. WHAT’S YOUR SPECIALTY?
We have two main points of difference between us and the “big box” guys:
2) We’ll take your trade-in to save you even more off of our already low prices. Obviously being a Canadian sports store, we have always specialized in Hockey gear and skates. We take the time to make sure you have both the proper gear and the proper fit, as this ensures that you’ll have fun and that you’ll be well protected at the same time. Having said that, we aren’t just a one-trick pony: we carry ski & snowboard gear in the winter and soccer, baseball, inlines and golf in the spring and summer. We also carry all-season apparel from Under Armour.
7. HOW DID YOUR BUSINESS GET STARTED?
We are a locally-owned member of a franchise group under the Winmark umbrella of stores. Two brothers took their love of sports and decided in 1993 to open our first store in Orleans and we haven’t looked back since, expanding across this great city of ours.
There is nothing more rewarding than seeing someone’s eyes light up as they try a new sport for the first time. It’s exciting to be a part of people and their families’ first experiences in new adventures and its fun to see customers grow and come back year after year playing sports.
9. WHAT’S YOUR ADVICE TO YOUNG NEWLYWED COUPLES?
Stay active and don’t be afraid to try new things. Bonding while trying new sports or activities is a great way to strengthen a relationship. Often money can be tight in the first few years of marriage and there are many inexpensive sports and activities to try out. Saving a few bucks picking up some gently used gear can help ease that strain as every little bit counts. Starting a healthy, active lifestyle at the outset of your life together will only lead to good habits that you’ll eventually pass along to future generations.
Play It Again Sports has four local locations, so chances are there’s a PIAS near you! Be sure to go in and say hello. And this September, all you hockey families remember that there’s a great place to get gear for your hockey players that won’t break the bank.